Autumn in Harbor Country is exactly what you’re looking for!
We’ve rounded up all the best things to do this fall.
As you drive around Southwest Michigan in September and October, it’s hard to miss the smell of grapes ripening on the vine, the sight of leaves turning colors, and the tastes of the harvest on your plate. Check out our top 7 ways to get into the autumn spirits here in Harbor Country.
ENJOY THE COLORS – peak colors are predicted for mid-October, but it’s beautiful here the entire season. Even the colors of the beach sunsets hit differently in autumn.
The best way to enjoy the colors is on a bike ride through the countryside. Do it on your own or with a group. Since 1974, the Apple Cider Century is an annual bike ride where you choose your distance, from 15 to 100-miles through the orchards, forests and wine country in and around Three Oaks.
You can forego two wheels for two feet, and catch the colors and crisp air on a hike through any one of our amazing trails. But, it’s hard to beat the colors on a hike through Warren Dunes with aerial views of the colorful trees from atop the sand dunes.
DRINK UP FALL – Whether you’re sipping on the Pumpkin Spice Latte Cocktail at SideYard, or on some freshly brewed cider at Peat’s Cider Social, you’re bound to find a perfect fall drink for your taste buds in SW Michigan! You can even enjoy all the wine at New Buffalo’s Annual Harvest & Wine Fest on October 7.
STOMP IT OUT – Southwest Michigan is known for its abundance of vineyards and wineries, and autumn is when you get to see it all in action! Join in on one of many Grape Stomps happening in the area including…
EAT IT UP – the food is delicious and farm-fresh in Harbor Country year-round, but the fall harvest is always reason to celebrate. Enjoy a high-end farm-to-table dinner, on the farm at Granor Farm. Enjoy a wine-focused Harvest Dinner at Shady Creek on October 6 or a Rustic Wine Dinner at Hickory Creek on September 17.
JUST SAY PROST – I don’t know how we got so lucky, but our little corner of Michigan will be celebrating Oktoberfest at least 4 times this fall! Be sure to catch one of these celebrations and raise a glass to fall!
- Oktoberfest at Round Barn Public House September 29
- OktoBEERfest Week at Leeds Public House in Michigan City
- Three Oaks Oaktoberfest September 29 – October 1
- Oktoberfest at Seedz Brewery on October 7
- Noktoberfest at Froehlich’s on November 4
GET PICKING – Besides having the beautiful lake to our West, and vineyards in all other directions, this area is also home to several apple orchards and pumpkin patches! Head out to the farm to pick out some delicious things to bring home.
- Dinges Pumpkin Patch is the home base for decorative gourds of all colors, shapes & sizes. You can even u-pick from their beautiful Zinnia flower patch. You’re sure to have the best dressed porch in the neighborhood after a fun visit to Dinges.
- Stock up on apples & apple cider at these great orchards…
DON’T GET SPOOKED – Finally, there is a lot of creepy content around here including…
- The terrifying Niles Scream Park
- The less terrifying Terror at Tabor Halloween Party on October 28
- Hop on the only a little bit scary Hesston Ghost Train October 14-15, 21-22 or 28-29
- Be brave and buy a ticket to the Boo Ball at the Acorn on October 28
- And, the way more fun than terrifying Chill-O-Ween Halloween Party at Chill Hill Winery on October 28